Sunday, September 7, 2008

At long last...a Post and a new Purpose

So I've decided to hijack our "roomate blog" (which it technically isn't anyway since I am the only one that posts on it...another topic for another day) so that I can have a place to write about my recent (and forthcoming) experiences as a first year teacher...and the horror, inadequacy, humor, and reflection that my title ensues. I can't promise frequency, but I can promise quality on this blog. Brace yourself for what's to come as it will be a long year...


I'll start by saying that a move from one grade to another after first week of school can NEVER be a good thing...no matter what. It has been a crazy few weeks as I've had to set up a second classroom, get to know another group of kids, another team of teachers, a different curriculum, etc. Kindergarteners are YOUNG, and I am NEW so we make a pretty explosive team. It's hard to describe what goes on in my classroom every day...I just have to take it one day at a time so that it's not too overwhelming.

I do have a funny story from Friday. One of my boys (who should probably be medicated for ADHD) brought some Chapstick to school. I told him to put it in his backpack because he kept playing with it instead of working. At lunch, I saw him playing with it again and took it from him. He had to sit out a recess (for reasons other than the Chapstick) and when I called him over to ask him why he was required to sit out, he said "Because I didn't put my make-up in my backpack." I tried not to laugh as I asked him what else he had done to warrant that punishment. I hope he went home and told his mom that he had to sit out a recess because he refused to put away his make-up. Classic.

I will post some pics when I get a chance to take some. Seeing that I don't have a camera currently, I have to borrow one to take pictures. SO, I will do that at some point.

That's it for now...time to go get ready for bed and prepare for another week....here goes nothing.

1 comment:

Lora said...

That's really funny! I'm glad to hear you can laugh some in all of the madness! Just thought I'd let you know I enjoyed it! love you and miss you!