Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Diamonds in the Rough

Believe it or not, Rap lyrics have a very significant place in my life, and I believe they have a lot to offer all of us. I find them to be hilarious (despite their vulgarity and offensiveness at times) and genius all at the same time. One of the funniest things to me is to sing a rap song in a normal voice. Just imagine someone singing:

"I've got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind."

or

"I'm sorry Mrs. Jackson, I am for real. I never meant to make your daughter cry. I apologize a million times."

or

"Girl, you look good, won't you back that thing up?"


in a regular white person voice. Hilarious.


My senior year of college, I went to the beach with some friends after graduation. We spent the majority of our time with our toes in the sand coming up with more and more rap lyrics to try in our whitest voices...and it only got funnier as the week went on. Try it.

My friend Marty and I have also spent some time gleaning knowledge from the educational aspect of these pimped out tunes. For example:

"She stay in the club,(club) I can be seein' she got it honest
In real life, girl remind me of Pocahontas"

and

"You're so Anne Frank, let's hit the attic and hide out for about two weeks."

and


" Ah ha, hush that fuss
Everybody move to the back of the bus
Do you wanna bump and slump with us
We the type of people make the club get crunk"
(From Outkast's Rosa Parks)

As you can tell, one can surely benefit from listening to the words that are so carefully woven together to create these gangsta masterpieces. Won't you join me in the quest to find more of these diamonds in the rough?

Some of you may not agree with me. I would beg you to take a closer look. Perhaps this link will help some of you practically minded folk make some sense of this widespread art form:


http://www.aclevercookie.com/rap-lyrics-explained-with-charts-and-graphs/


Happy listening! Now that's a rap...

2 comments:

MLS said...

Does the "money rap" count?

"Now, a penny's worth onw,
and a nickel's worth five,
Dimes are worth ten,
And a quarter- twenty five."

Works for my boys =)

Shea Fox said...

"well, i'm peepin', and i'm creepin', and i'm creepin'

but i damn near got caught, cause my beeper kept beepin'

fallin' back on that *ss with a hellafied gangsta lean,

gettin' funky on the mic like an old batch of collard greens."

dr. dre left me with some profound thoughts to ponder as i go to sleep tonight.