Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Munchies and the Bachelor


So I spent some time in one of our local middle schools this week as a volunteer proctor for the TCAP (basically, Tennessee's state achievement test). Not only did this experience confirm my lack of interest in teaching middle schoolers, it also, as expected, provided some great stories. The first day, I was in a classroom of "suspended students." Yes, you heard correctly. I was in the room for the students who are technically suspended from school but had to come just to take their test. One young man came struttin' into the classroom with his mother on his heels declaring, "BOY! If you disobey your teacher one more time, it's going to be me, you, and the Good Lord this afternoon!" Soon after that, a rather large "thugged out" girl comes in and sits down right in front of said young man. During the break time between the two test sessions, this young girl went over to get a snack off of of the teacher's desk. The aforementioned boy came up behind her and started yelling "Big Jaz got the munchies!" over and over. Hilarious.

On my second day, I was in a "regular" classroom which (not surprisingly) was just as eventful. For example, one young lady (who actually ended up threatening me later on) raised her hand and confidently asked me "Are you from Irish?" Oooo...so close...

On another note, my roomate, Lauren, and I have a not-so-secret obsession with the reality TV show, The Bachelor. We watch it each week and then discuss it afterwards. I have to admit, it's somewhat addicting. Each time I watch, I am constantly amazed at the lengths some of these girls will go to just to win the heart of some boy they barely know. I often wonder what I would be like if I were a contestant on the show. I would assume I would look something like this compared to the rest of the ladies. I guess the world will never know...

3 comments:

Marty said...

I laughed out loud 3 times!!!! So funny. So good.

Brink said...

Those stories are hilarious. Absolutely priceless. I hope you are writing these down for posterity.
And yes, those girls on The Bachelor are quite amusing. I've watched about 20 minutes of this entire season, but I grew to intensely dislike almost half of the "ladies" in that time.

MLS said...

I thought that picture was what you would look like if you had been homeschooled....